I realize now that I only sent this to Rachel.  Thanks for reading

Kay Streng

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kay Kroeff-Streng <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 11:11 AM
Subject: Re: [ARLIS-L] blank artist book structures
To: rachel resnik <[log in to unmask]>

Hello Rachel & all,

During the artists' books special interest group (SIG) meeting at the ARLIS/NA conference last year someone mentioned that they have a 'forms' library of book structures that their students use for hands-on study.  I got excited about this but got stuck, (a) not having someone to make them, (b) not knowing exactly what structures are the most important to represent, & (c) cost: the time & materials to make them.

Our Library recently recently received a body of left over artists books made by students & faculty for class projects in the 1990s that had been stored in the college print shop.  They no longer had space for the extras so they gave them to the Library.  After archiving what we need to we're going to use the many of the leftovers to build a hands on study library.  Perhaps others might ask within their institutions if student work could be donated for this purpose.  Just a thought....

I plan to ask our faculty to recommend which structures & formats should be in a learning collection.  I would be interested in what Jill Timm, Richard Minsky & others would suggest.  Rachel, do you have a wish list of structures for your collection at this point?

Thank you for bringing this conversation up on ARLIS-L.  Happy Holidays, everyone!

Sincerely,
Kay Streng