From: ARLIS/NA List [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Richard Minsky
Sent: Thursday, December 15, 2011 7:45 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARLIS-L] rant - books without covers

I have not yet seen these, but it sounds like the way books were issued pre-19th century, and until now in some places.

The horrible bindings on hardcover books during the last 70 years or so-- generic 1/4 cloth with paper wrapped boards, and worse--doesn't provide the consumer with much added value. Given the rise in digital texts, it looks like bound paper may be going the way of society in general--the middle class books are splitting into rich books and poor books.

Perhaps some graphic designers are being put out of jobs, but given the rising appreciation of more interesting book exteriors that The Guardian and The New York Times have recently explored, different artists are at work at the higher end of trade publishing.

And maybe the resurgence of books in wrappers will create more work for bookbinders and book artists, as people want their favorite texts--those that need something more than electronically generated photons on a generic tablet--iconified in a form that reflects the significance they assign to the content.

--
Richard
http://minsky.com