Alison,
We have a similar set up as yours and I agree that a Marketing Dept. has more than enough to handle without web development.  Perhaps it would be nice to have a separate Web Development Dept.  Maybe others have something like this and would share comments about whether it works or not?

Cheryl
MFAH The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston

From: Alison Huftalen [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2011 1:48 PM
To: Payne, Cheryl
Subject: Re: [ARLIS-L] Web services organizational model

Ours started out with the possibility of it being effective.  Our newish website which went live a year or 2 ago is actually based through wordpress, easily editable etc. I have control over the library portion of the website.  Our marketing and communications dept. manages all web-related projects which are implemented in various ways.  IT only does things on the very technical side. We also have an outside firm that helped to design our website, designed our first app and assists in the creation of our digital content.  I really wish we had a department (or at the very least one employee) dedicated to web development, things aren't always smooth because marketing has way too much on its plate and is too skewed (in my opinion) in how it presents content. I've also read a number of times that marketing is not a good place to have your web development live.

>>> "Payne, Cheryl" <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> 12/21/2011 4:31 PM >>>
Colleagues,

On behalf of the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, I would like to ask if anyone has an “effective” model that you could share regarding management of web resources within your organization.  For example, do you have department liaisons, a review committee?  Does your Information Technology Dept. or Marketing Dept. manage all web-related projects, or do you have a separate department for web development?  As just one department of many in the museum, we vie for a voice in the decision-making and management of current and new web technologies and resources.

We would really appreciate any examples of models and/or job descriptions that you could share with regards to where web resource management falls within your organizational structure.

Many thanks
Cheryl

Cheryl Payne, M.L.S.
Technical Services Librarian
Hirsch Library

[http://www.mfah.org/site_media/images/layout/mfah_logo.png]<http://www.mfah.org/>

MFAH The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston
1001 Bissonnet Street
Houston, TX 77005

Mail submissions to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> For information about joining ARLIS/NA see: http://www.arlisna.org/join.html Send administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.arlisna.org Questions may be addressed to list owner (Judy Dyki) at: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

This message is a private communication.  It may contain information that is privileged or confidential.  Please do not copy or disclose it to others.  If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender of the delivery error by replying to this message, and then delete it and any attachments from your system.  Thank you.