While not exactly on "artist book" structures, Gary Frost's teaching set on historical book structures might provide artists with some cognizance of the evolution of the codex in north Africa and Europe. The essay about the set is itself an education:
http://futureofthebook.com/historical-bindings-teaching-set/

The more an artist understands the mechanics and variety of formats that have evolved, the wider will be the field of possibilities for creation and innovation.  Palm-leaf books of southeast Asia, Babylonian, Assyrian and Sumerian tablets and cones, Hedi Kyle's concertina structures with various configurations of leaf attachment, and many others will serve to bend the minds of budding bookies. From the scrolls of ancient Israel, Egypt and China to Buckminster Fuller's Tetrascroll, students will learn ways to adapt structures to fit the metaphors of their works.

Perhaps they will be motivated to explore three-dimensional concrete poetry, like Emily McVarish did with Matter and Memory.

Having models for students to play with is a great idea, because they can articulate them and gain tactile awareness of their haptic properties.  Understanding the craftsmanship involved in constructing them is another step, and every art library needs to have the set of Keith Smith's books. Not just the six volumes on how to build the models, but his key works on the internal relationships of organizing text and images to communicate concepts, Structure of the Visual Book and Text in the Book Format.

--
Richard
http://minsky.com