I have not yet seen these, but it sounds like the way books were issued
pre-19th century, and until now in some places.

The horrible bindings on hardcover books during the last 70 years or
so-- generic 1/4 cloth with paper wrapped boards, and worse--doesn't
provide the consumer with much added value. Given the rise in digital
texts, it looks like bound paper may be going the way of society in
general--the middle class books are splitting into rich books and poor
books.

Perhaps some graphic designers are being put out of jobs, but given the
rising appreciation of more interesting book exteriors that /The
Guardian/
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/dec/02/beautiful-book-covers> and
/The New York Times
<http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/04/books/publishers-gild-books-with-special-effects-to-compete-with-e-books.html>
/have recently explored, different artists are at work at the higher end
of trade publishing.

And maybe the resurgence of books in wrappers will create more work for
bookbinders and book artists, as people want their favorite texts--those
that need something more than electronically generated photons on a
generic tablet--iconified in a form that reflects the significance they
assign to the content.

--
Richard
http://minsky.com