We have a few books on cover design:

Author Powers, Alan, 1955-
Title Front cover : great book jacket and cover design / Alan Powers.
Publication Info. London : Mitchell Beazley, 2001.
ISBN 1840004215
(1920s-1990s)

Title Covers & jackets! : what the best dressed books & magazines are wearing / [compiled by] Steven Heller & Anne Fink.
Publication Info. Glen Cove, NY : Library of Applied Design ; New York, NY : Distributed to the book trade in the U.S. and Canada by Rizzoli International Pubications Inc.,, c1993.
ISBN 0866361952
(1990s)

Title Fully booked : cover art & design for books / [edited by Robert Klanten, Matthias Hübner].
Publication Info. Berlin : Gestalten, c2008
ISBN 3899552091,    9783899552096
(2005-2007)

For the most current book jacket design, I'd look at various design annuals like the Graphis Design Annual which has a section on books.

Title Graphis design.
Publication Info. Zurich (Switzerland) : Graphis Press Corp. ; New York, N.Y. (USA) : Graphis U.S. Inc., c1952?-
ISBN 1932026533

Jennifer Faist
Library Systems and Digital Collections Administrator
James Lemont Fogg Memorial Library
Art Center College of Design
1700 Lida Street
Pasadena, CA   91103