From: Rust, Amanda
Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2011 4:28 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: sourcing 16 c. Italian engravings

Hello, all—

I’m an English and American Literature librarian out of my depth on this topic, so am appealing for help.

I’m working with a faculty member doing some research on the source and iconography for a series of Northern Italian engravings from the 1590s. The engravings display anthropomorphic figures from Ovid's _Metamorphoses_.  They’ve already checked potential candidates from illustrated pre-1590's printed editions of the _Metamorphoses_, as well as the Ovid Illustrated site from the Univ. of Virginia.  I’ve also been looking through WorldCat for things like a dictionary of Italian Renaissance iconography.

Since I’m not an art librarian, I wanted to ask if there were some well-known and magical art history source that would be a good place to start.  Or perhaps there’s an index or website that would help?  Are there other methods that would be useful, when researching a Renaissance image and how it might copy or refer to other images or sources?

Thanks in advance,

Amanda

Amanda Rust • Research & Instruction Librarian • Northeastern University Libraries

360 Huntington Ave. Boston MA 02115 • [log in to unmask] • (617) 373-8548