Dear Librarians,

to mention that Worldwide Books has also long
covered the museum and gallery publications
distributed by ABC Art Books Canada, but we also
routinely carry catalogues from many Canadian
museums and galleries whose titles are not
distributed to the trade through ABC, and of
course we also carry catalogues on Canadian art
that are published outside of Canada.

I know that Ray Anne is already very familiar
with Worldwide's online database, but this
discussion made me realize that other subscribers
may not be as familiar with the search features
offered through our Web site or how they can be
used to advantage when conducting exactly this
sort of retrospective collection development.

Users can quickly compile very useful
bibliographies through Worldwide's online
bibliographic database whether they wish to
purchase through Worldwide or not. Given the
scope of our coverage, and the permanence of our
records, most of the more significant exhibition
catalogues on Canadian art that have been
produced in the past 50 years are likely to be in
our database, and many of the more recent titles
are likely to be in stock, as are numerous
volumes from years past that may now have become
rare items and are elsewhere indicated as OP.

On the Advanced Search Screen of our Web site
(http://www.worldwide-artbooks.com/wwb_search_form.php)
search results can be limited by place of
publication by using the COUNTRY OF PUBLICATION
filter (Canada in this case) and/or search
results can be limited to titles that focus on
Canadian art (regardless of where the catalogues
may have been published) by selecting Canada from the COUNTRY pull-down menu.

Note: since Worldwide's coverage of "standard"
trade and university press books is limited to
titles with U.S. distribution (as opposed to
exhibition and collection catalogues, for which
our coverage is international in scope), all of
the non-museum and gallery titles we carry are
considered to be "U.S. publications" for search purposes.

Using various other filters offered on
Worldwide's Advanced Search Screen in
combination, searches can also be structured to
limit results based on such factors as:

* Exhibition Catalogues vs. "Standard" Art Books:
exhibition and collection catalogues have
Worldwide item numbers below 90000 in our
database, whereas trade and university press
books unrelated to exhibitions have item numbers
above 90000. The greater-than (>) and less-than
(<) operators can be used in the WORLDWIDE ITEM
NUMBER field to limit searches to either type of publication.

* Date of publication or date range (e.g., users
can specify ">1999" in the DATE OF PUBLICATION
field to limit search results to titles published
within the past decade or so).

* Language of the text

* Artistic medium represented

* Period represented (e.g. early 20th century,
Post-1945, Post-1970, Post-1990 or Post-2000);
the last three subject headings are admittedly
rather arbitrary chronological divisions and are
designed simply to enable users to limit search
results to titles that focus on work produced in very recent decades.

Searches can also be designed to omit titles that
are Out of Print (OP) or Temporarily Out of Stock
(TOS) at Worldwide, which is particularly useful
for librarians wishing to limit results to titles
that Worldwide is currently able to supply;
however, TOS and OP titles can also be included
in search results if a user is interested in
compiling a more comprehensive bibliography, regardless of availability.

Please note that Worldwide's database includes a
permanent bibliographic record for each and every
title selected after careful evaluation for our
approval plan program since the company's
founding in 1962 (currently more than 100,000
titles), making the database particularly useful
as a bibliographic resource for identifying
international catalogues on art, architecture,
photography and design published over the past 50 years.

Although the search features of our Web site are
fairly intuitive and are explained quite clearly
on the site, we are always happy to provide
search assistance by telephone whenever necessary
or whenever a librarian wishes to conduct a
particularly complex type of search.

I don't mean to make this sound like a sales
pitch, but we like to make sure that librarians
are aware of the various bibliographic research
tools that we make freely available through our
Web site to anyone who may want to use them.

Best regards,

Kelly Fiske
Worldwide Books

Find us on the Web: