Dear Colleagues,

I am collecting books and exhibition catalogs on a global scale and have been doing this since 2000.  Our Department now teaches Contemporary Art (history) on a global scale.  I would like to now focus on Canada as books on that subject do not seem to be in vendor databases often (except for Worldwide Art Books).  Since I was once told by Mary Williamson some years ago that I should become an “honorary” member of the Canadian contingent of ARLIS/NA, I am hoping that my Canadian colleagues (including those in Montreal) can help me with this question.

What are the top books on contemporary art / artists in your country.  By top, I mean, as art librarians in Canada, what are the top books and exhibition catalogs published since 2000 that you can think of and share with me.  I do want to be inclusive and diverse, including Inuit and practicing Native American Indians.  I realize this question is ptobably overwhelming, but I am asking my colleagues because you know what the “best” titles are.

Along those lines, what are the currently running biennials in Canada?

Thanks so very much, Ray Anne Lockard

Bibliographer and Public Services Librarian
Frick Fine Arts Library
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA  15260
Voice-mail:  412-648-2410
E-mail:  [log in to unmask]

"A book should be a ball of light in one's hands."  Ezra Pound