designinform
•  Design Abstracts Retrospective
•  Design ProFILES
•  ReVIEW
•  designinform Research Guides

L'Artista Moderno: Giornale d’Arte Applicata [later subtitled Rivista d’Arte Pura ed Applicata]

Hi

Does anyone know anything about this art Italian journal?  We have recently purchased a run from vol.3, 1904 to vo.20, 1941 and intend to digitize part of the run for designinform ReVIEW.

It appears to have begun publication in 1901 [“fondato nel 1901”] and to have ceased in 1941.  The original publisher was Casa Editrice Nazionale Roux e Viarengo, Turin; and the director of the journal [at least from 1904] was Prof. R. Carlucci.  In its early years it was issued bi-weekly and later monthly.

The journal focused initially on contemporary (mainly Italian) decorative and applied art and architecture.  Later it also included fine art.  In its early years it is a rich source on Italian Art Nouveau (Stile Liberty). From the 1920s onwards the influence of Il ‘Deco’ Italiano and the Fascist aesthetic is more evident.  In its eclectic format and coverage it is similar to The Studio of Art et Decoration.

The thing is, having acquired the run, we have discovered that it seems to be extremely rare.  It is not not included in the National Art Library (V&A) or any of the national deposit libraries in the UK.   I couldn’t find it listed in the LoC catalog and WorldCat says
No results match your search for 'ti:l'artista moderno’ > 'Journal, magazine'.   Given its long run and its importance as a source on modern Italian art this is surprising!

I would be interested to hear from anyone who knows anything about this journal, particularly when it ceased publication.

Best wishes

Chris

Chris Mees
Editor – designinform
Design Research Publications . Poundsford . Vicarage Lane . Burwash .  East Sussex . England TN19 7JS

T: +44 1435 883950
E:
[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
W: http://www.designinform.co.uk/