First, the original query repeated, then the responses, below.

Posted back in August to AASL-L, ARLIS-L, and ARCHSEC-L:

Every semester our design studio students produce beautiful spiral- (or otherwise) bound portfolios of individual or studio projects. Many but not all of these find their way to our library--a few professors actually bring their students' work in at semester's end and ask that the project presentations be added to the library's collections. I'm talking to my cataloging department about how best to handle such materials, since they've not been collected systematically up to now.

Do you collect these materials in your libraries? If yes, do you treat them as a separate collection, or integrate them?

Right off the bat, I'm thinking one would have to have buy-in from studio instructors and program administrators.

On the back end, library technical staff would need to be aware of how such materials are likely to be searched and used: by course number, instructor, project location, project topic (land use study, traffic study, development plan, etc.) How does this work at your institution--or, how do you think it would work best?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big Thanks to everyone who contributed, if I haven’t acknowledge you already. Responses trickled in over a span of about six weeks. [If I’ve been too slow in responding, pity me: I sent the original query just as we teetered on the brink of our third move of the entire library within a nine-month period. Of course I underestimated the upheaval, since the first two moves were flawless.]

I got responses along two tracks (sometimes both are covered in a response—noted at the beginning of each message):

1)      Non-thesis studio products

2)      Theses and terminal projects

Those that came to me off-list have been edited somewhat, to provide context without institutional or other specifics.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From an independent architectural college in the northeast: studio products

We at ___ do actively collect the type of material you mentioned.

Currently we collect winning/passing segments 1 and 2 portfolios in each of our 4 disciplines. We catalogue them and leave them on a special closed reference shelf behind our circulation desk. We have been doing this longer than 11 years I have worked here. They are very popular and faculty and staff make it a point to send students up to view them. The school wants students to see what an award winning portfolio looks like.

This way, they strive to create the best. Currently all three of our portfolio classes visit the library to view these materials.

The way this works in the library is as follows...

Faculty who chair the individual programs will come up and swap out old portfolios for new ones. We withdraw older ones and they are destroyed.

Some of our faculty and departments are better than others. Architecture Segment one is picked through each review period. That would be on average about 3 times a year. However, I have to drag kicking and screaming the Landscape department to come up and even give me one.

Currently I have only one BLA.

As I mentioned, we keep them behind the circulation desk. They are treated as reserve material and cannot leave the library. They are so popular that we only let a student borrow up to 3 at any one time. We hold on to their ID.

Some have received cult status, and have had to be rebound. Although we do receive some portfolios on CDrom, they are like kryptonite. Students don't seem to want to ever use them. I have never been able to get a student to touch one. Not even once.

Other material that we keep...

We have several other types of material that is kept here in our library that is home grown.

We offer a class called Programming and Codes. This is a class that will teach a student all the programming and all the codes need to create and finish a project. The instructors keep 4 boxes of this material on reserve here in the library. A student will create a spiral bound document that will document their design, construction and all the codes used during that semester. Topics range from Fire House construction to Libraries. The instructor separates them by topic. He comes at the start of each semester and swaps out old ones for the best ones created from the previous semester.

Again, these are very popular. So much so that other sections of Programming and Codes send their students up to use them. Like our portfolios, these cannot leave the library. We treat them as reserve material.

Finally, whew!

In 2009 we took over [a landscape program] from [a larger school in the area]. They are a small certificate program, but they do some serious research. To graduate you must  produce an Independent Project, similar to a thesis. We did not acquire all the previous Independent Projects from [the original institutional affiliates]. We all agreed to leave that material at the location it was created. There were however duplicates that were in their library. We kept those and catalogued them individually and added them to the circulating collection. Each document has great bibliographic references and tons of scholarly material.

From an art institute in the northeast: studio products

I am replying off list, because I don't have a good answer! This is a note to say that I have been thinking same about our zines, comics and other class produced items. Thus far, I erred on the side of cataloging these as a collection.

The big rub for us in arts will be self-published titles. For those, I have to be very clear to state our collection development policies, else the library takes in every blurb and lulu book made. OR maybe we should…

From an architecture librarian at a public university in the plains states: studio products

For several years we have digitized them and made them available online for the Landscape Architecture Program.

Then we return the actual physical pieces to the department.  We plan to handle our portfolios for the Architecture program the same way, beginning in Jan. of 2012.  We have never had a request for this from the Art Dept. (which is in a different college), but I don't see any problems with offering it to them as an option.

From an architecture librarian at a private land-grant university in the Northeast: theses and studio products

I've been away on vacation and am just reading your note to the list now. Very interesting questions. I'd be interested in knowing how others have responded. [Our] B.Arch students all do a thesis, which we keep a copy of at the Fine Arts Library. Since there is only one copy of the undergraduate theses they can only be used in-house. (Graduate theses have two locations: Fine Arts Library and University Archives.) Elsewhere on campus many of the theses have gone to a digital submission format. Architecture, however, has not yet switched to digital.

Regarding student projects: the college (not the library) tends to collect a selection of student projects, particularly materials that they will want to share with the accreditation team when they visit. Historically, these have not been shared with the Fine Arts Library or with University Archives. This is an area I would like to develop, however. I do think that the library can and should play a role in archiving these materials. We do get reference questions related to the work of former students. In short, our work would be much simpler if we could have greater control over what is retained and the format in which it is retained. On the other hand, we are a circulating library not an archive.

Regarding the cataloguing of the items . . . if there is a time constraint perhaps they could be given collection level records. That is, creating file of student projects by course title and professor, i.e. Design IV; taught by [Professor] SoandSo; Fall 2010; materials include, dvds, models, portfolios, etc. (Actually, I've never created an archival record but the point is to get the patron to the collection and then the patron can search within for specific materials.) Otherwise, I would think that standard cataloguing procedures would be applicable: title, author, date, dimensions, format, and the name of the faculty and studio should be included. (I can imagine a question about work done in Professor [X’s] urban design studio in 1974 for example.)

My .02. Again, this is very interesting to me. If/when you have a chance, if you could summarize some of the good ideas you received I would appreciate it.

From an architecture librarian at a private institution in the Midwest: specific to studio products

I apologize for the delay in my response.  The new architecture graduate students arrived this week for a two week "pre-semester."  Our special collections materials are housed in the compact shelving (all of our on site collection is in compact shelving), but in a range that is locked to be stationary closed and unlocked with a remote by full time staff.  The portfolios are accessed like our other special collections items, they must be requested at the desk and a full time staff member retrieves them for the patron to use in the library at a table in the staff area.  We have only added a set of portfolios once and they were selected by the two faculty members that serve as undergraduate advisors.  My intention was to add them more or less permanently, unless in the future it seems to make sense to weed them out of the collection, and add current examples eventually as well.  Let me know if you have more questions.