Dear ARLIS/NA

How are you? Hope all is well.

I am contacting you regarding a new publication and to let you know that independent folks are still out there making beautiful photobooks. ICP faculty member Ken Schles who has a long history of my making extraordinary photobooks has produced his latest offering:
Oculus
ISBN 978-90-76703-45-9
Size: 8.75" x 12"
This first edition is limited to 1000 copies.
$65.00
96 pages; 35 color plates with warm red endpages enclosed in black foil stamped off-white half linen case bound covers.
Published by Stichting Fotografie Aurora Borealis under the auspices of Stichting Fotografie Noorderlicht.

Through an integration of text and image, Schles extends his investigation into the connection between image and memory by exploring the agency and nature of the image itself. Images, Schles reminds us, inform our “ways of seeing” and “knowing” on an ongoing transactional basis. They are constructions that stimulate our memories which, in turn, conjure other images and other ideas—reinforcing or challenging what we think or know to be true. Schles connects us to these ideas through his use of the image and via short texts that reference ideas about images, memory and metaphors using light found in literature, philosophy, early writings on psychology and in ancient myth. In the confluence of theses sources we find timeless corollaries to deepen our understanding of what the image may offer.

Contact Ken Schles: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

A link for direct purchases (US checks or Paypal —international shipping is the same price):
http://www.kenschles.com/Books/OculusBook/oculuspurchase.html

More about the book here:
http://www.kenschles.com/Books/OculusBook/Oculus01.html

I know that you are incredibly busy but if you could take the time to peruse the book it would be totally appreciated.

Sincerely,

Matthew P. Carson
International Center of Photography
1114 Avenue of the Americas at 43rd Street
New York, NY 10036
http://icplibrary.wordpress.com/