Ray Anne and all,
Some of you may be interested in Barefoot Gen: A Cartoon Story of Hiroshima.
It's a manga series, based on the life and experiences of the author,
Keiji Nakazawa, during and after the bombing of Hiroshima
who was a young boy at the time.
We have a more recent English series  of 10 volumes (2004-2010).

Mo