What great timing for a question about Wikipedia Loves Libraries! For
those in the New York City area, you are cordially invited to join the
New York Public Library for the Performing Arts for our first
Wikipedia Loves Libraries day this Saturday the 22nd from noon to 6pm.
More information is here:
http://www.nypl.org/events/programs/2011/10/22/wikipedia-musical

The focus will be on our theatre collections, particularly musical
theatre, but we are welcoming updates and new pages on just about any
subject. We have been working with several representatives from
Wikipedia, who will give a tutorial and one-on-one help throughout the
afternoon. Two other LPA curators and I will be giving guidance and
instruction on using our library resources to help those who come.
We're also pulling some key archival collections and reference books
to have immediately accessible. We're also going to be collecting a
lot of statistics, which we hope will be useful for future planning.

Also, I should mention that Wikipedia just did a similar event with
MoMA's library recently, and that seems to have been very successful.
I understand that they tied it in with tours of their "Talk to Me:
Design and the Communication between People and Objects" exhibition to
help give direction to the day's writing.

If you'd like to contact me directly next week, I can give more
specific feedback about how the LPA day went.

cheers,
Annemarie

Annemarie van Roessel
Reference Archivist
New York Public Library for the Performing Arts
40 Lincoln Center Plaza
New York, NY  10023-7498
(212) 870-1637 ph.