From: ARLIS/NA List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lisa
Schattman
Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2011 7:01 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARLIS-L] Art, design, and architecture librarians with
additional disciplinary responsibilities

I am a solo librarian at a small college for interior design. We offer only
one degree: a BFA in Interior Design. So our library is strongest in the
areas of art, architecture and design, and I spend most of my time being an
art/architecture/design librarian. However, since a BFA requires a broad
liberal arts base, our students also take a number of "General Education"
classes, including English composition, critical thinking, cultural
anthropology, world literature, mythology, American history, world
civilizations, environmental studies, physical geography, philosophy, ...
and I'm sure I'm forgetting something! So I also do collection development
and reference in those subject areas, along with a lot of library
instruction.

It's not really part of a trend toward centralization or doing more with
less, since this college has always had exactly one librarian, but I would
definitely be interested in learning how to better support our students in
their GE classes.

Regards,

Lisa

---