Date:    Mon, 1 Aug 2011 18:34:53 -0400
From:    Work <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Library Instruction for Freshman

Hi All,

I have been wrestling with an effective method of providing library
instruction to our mandatory Freshman Seminar class - 140 students. In
the past it has always been that the librarian visits the class and
talks about the library in a very generic fashion. I followed this
model last year (my first year at Montserrat) and found it very
lacking and repetative since I also visit the Art History and English
classes. I have made numerous suggestions for different approaches to
library instruction for this class but they have all been shot down by
the faculty who teach the freshman course.

Does anyone have any ideas for how to best engage 140 freshman and
resist the 'this is how it has always been done' inertia?

How do you teach your intro. courses?

Cheers,

Sylvia

Sent from my iPhone