This message is posted on behalf of a colleague. Please respond to her
directly at [log in to unmask], as she is not on the ARLIS listserv.
Thanks.

Dear ARLIS/NA Community:

This fall I am teaching the course, "Information Access in the Arts" at
Maryland's iSchool.  The course as described in the catalog entails:

"Research methods, practice, information needs, information structure,
and information sources and services in the visual arts (for example,
fine arts, decorative arts, architecture, photography) and the
performing arts (for example, theater, film, music, dance, and
costume.)"

I have taught a related course several times at other institutions, and
took a similar course (back in the last century) while completing the
MLS degree.  I have reviewed the ARLIS/NA Core Competencies for Art
Information Professionals and I am mapping the course objectives to
these competencies.  I write to ask if the ARLIS/NA community may have
any suggestions for other areas that need to be addressed in this
course, with the goal of educating students to become art information
professionals.

--Are there currently gaps in the educational experience--practical and
theoretical-- within such courses in MLS programs that need to be
filled?
--Can you recommend particular curricular experiences in and outside of
the classroom that would benefit students as they prepare to become art
education professionals?
--Are there particular readings you might recommend?
--Are there gaps in the research that could be addressed through student
research?

Any comments, suggestions, and recommendations would be greatly
appreciated.  Please reply to me directly at: [log in to unmask]

Many thanks in advance!

Mary Choquette

Mary Edsall Choquette, M.L.S., Ph.D.
College of Information Studies, Maryland's iSchool
University of Maryland, College Park
4105 Hornbake Building, South Wing
College Park, MD 20742