Hello Everyone,

I am lucky in that the Depart of the History of Art and Architecture always brings the grad students to the library as a part of their Departmental Orientation and I do my bit in the library using a Libguide, mentioned next.  .  The undergrads here only get an intro in the classroom when they have a writing assignment.  They are now required to take a core course entitled "Foundations of Art History."  The students are told they have to write a research paper.  About a week later,  the faculty member gives the students a list of "reference questions" that we worked on together.  The students have difficulty with it, as we both know they will.  Then I come to the class.  I project the library's web site.  And we go over the questions....  I then show them how to navigate the web site, including online catalog and why that is important rather than using Google.  Also show them our LibGuide done for the course - which goes into the library catalog, journals (print and e form), etc.  You can see it at:

http://pitt.libguides.com/art_history_foundations

The students then need to do a bibliography on their subject (examining a work of art in the Carnegie Museum of Art).

I also advertise this to Art History faculty, saying they can put it on their CourseWeb sites, so students in all classes have easier access to it, if the faculty member takes this advice.

I, after 28 years, have not been able to get the Studio Arts faculty to bring their students into the library.  Well, many years ago, one faculty member did and she loved what I did for the class, but the students rarely return.  For two reasons, I think:  our stacks are closed, so they cannot browse!!  And also, it's only an undergrad program and students themselves don't see the library as that important to them.

I have also done a LibGuide for Studio Arts which I will greatly revise this year and include more about techniques as well as the business angle of things.  This is only a beginning for them.  I have advertised it to faculty, but am hoping to be invited to a faculty meeting where I can show the LibGuide to all of them.  One faculty member is wowed by it, but I showed the LibGuide to him in my office, so he has actually seen it.  This LibGuide is at:

http://pitt.libguides.com/studioart

Good luck!

Ray Anne Lockard

Bibliographer and Public Services Librarian
Frick Fine Arts Library
University of Pittsburgh
Pittsburgh, PA  15260
Voice-mail:  412-648-2410