Dear members,

I know that we all share a collective sense of relief that so many of you and your families and collections came away generally unscathed from the path of Hurricane/Tropical Storm Irene. I realize that some of you are still dealing with power outages and flooding in your immediate regions. We wish you well in getting back to some degree of normalcy.

Over the summer the Executive Board addressed a number of critical issues. Among the most significant was the acceptance of the 2011-2015 ARLIS/NA Strategic Plan, which can now be found on the ARLIS/NA website.

This document has been in the making for well over a year and will shape the future direction of our society as we carry out our mission to foster excellence in art and design librarianship and image management in the years ahead.

I want to express my deep appreciation to all of the members of the Strategic Planning Committee for producing a well articulated and well structured plan. They are: Pat Barnett (chair), Hannah Bennett, Jennifer Garland, Eumie Imm-Stroukoff, Barbara Rockenbach, Jamie Vander Broek (formerly Lausch), and Eric Wolf.

The majority of this committee is pressing ahead with the vital second phase of the plan – the action plan component, which will provide more explicit direction, not only for the Board, but also for the committees, divisions, sections, chapters, liaisons, and special interest groups within our society.

Please join me in thanking our colleagues, each of whom has worked diligently and thoughtfully in service of this effort.

And please take a moment to review the plan and think about how you might resolve to help ARLIS/NA achieve one or more of these goals. Feel free to contact myself or another member of the Executive Board if you care to discuss your ideas.

Sincerely,

Jon Evans

President, ARLIS/NA

Director, Hirsch Library