Sylvia and all,

My own situation is very different from what you describe (community college
library, much smaller classes, etc.) but one thing I've found to be tried
and true in engaging freshmen is to develop sample searches that are
not typical research topics. I think students get bored quickly by what they
perceive as "standard" research examples. It's not the methods that they are
bored with--after all, community college students are just beginning to
understand the research process at all--but the idea that research can only
be about certain kinds of things.

My two current favorite topics are *heavy metal music* and *recycling sewage
*. Heavy metal music has all kinds of interesting vectors (history,
stylistic influences, issues of violence, US military, globalism, etc.)
and there is a surprising wealth of published research. Recycling sewage has
the "gross-out factor" that gets students really wanting to know exactly
what is in that groovy, refillable, stainless bottle .... There are legal,
business, biological, environmental, and psychological angles to explore.
Oh, and it's gross!

Other topics I've used in the past are *Facebook and privacy*, *breast
feeding*, and* tattoos*.

I do a simple concept mapping exercise with the class to show them how each
topic might be developed and then sample searches in two different research
databases so they can compare the types of results. Faculty tell me that
students talk about the Library session long after it's over and that they
are much more motivated to pursue topics that they really matter to them. In
the process, they learn how to do Library research.

Claire

Claire Dannenbaum

http://ephemerarium.wordpress.com/