I cannot recall if this was posted before, as it was published in March 2010. I've only just finished it, but it's one of the best articles on the future of libraries that I've read in a long time. It touches on a lot of relevant topics (and even mentions Panofsky). Enjoy!

http://www.tnr.com/print/article/books-and-arts/toward-new-alexandria

John

John J. Taormina
Director, Visual Media Center
and Coordinator of Communications and Publications
Dept. of Art, Art History & Visual Studies
Duke University
Box 90764
112 East Duke Building
Durham  NC 27708-0764

Ph: 919-684-2501
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
http://www.duke.edu/web/art/

"Education is what survives when what has been learnt has been forgotten."

"Discovering the use of knowledge is education."