For a little more than a year, F.A. Bernett Books has been spotlighting some its favorite new acquisitions on Recto|Verso, a rare books blog written by (yours truly) Arthur Fournier.

Last week, a reader in Barcelona named Pablo Medrano Bigas reached out concerning "Sem au Bois," an unusual 30-ft.-long lithographic leporello by Georges "Sem" Goursat about which I'd posted about some time ago. Mr. Bigas had stumbled across our blog in the course of his research on 19th-century illustrations and recognized the item as a satirical celebration of the Jockey Club de Paris' race day processions from the club's headquarters at 1 Rue Scribe to the course at Longchamp. He put a significant amount of effort into identifying some of the notable figures in the parade of caricatures and contacted us by e-mail to share his insights.

We try not to bombard this list with extraneous material, but I can't help sharing this particular post, incorporating his detective work. It's an amazing example of what can happen when you share a few choice images from a rare book online, for all the world to see:

http://rectoversoblog.com/2011/06/07/sem_update/

(For additional background, have a look at my original post on "Sem au Bois" here, http://rectoversoblog.com/?p=423, as of May 11, 2010.)

Many thanks to Pau for engaging with our blog and for opening the doors to one of Belle Epoque Paris' most exclusive clubs for our readers!

Warm regards,
Arthur Fournier
F.A. Bernett Books

PS -- If you'd like to receive regular updates about the books we profile on Recto|Verso, please send me an e-mail (off list) at [log in to unmask], or subscribe via RSS via the link on our homepage.