In addition to Sherman’s response, I received a number of interesting replies directly off-list.  They range from “do nothing” to “consult your institution’s legal counsel.”  I think I’ll go with time-honored cataloging tradition, and add or correct information when appropriate, e.g. add access points for them to records for group shows, and change their nationality from Russian to American.  But we won’t let our catalog become a forum for artist-supplied commentary.  They can add a review in WorldCat or Amazon if they want.

Who knows, maybe this effort by the artists is a new art form: Public art cataloging?

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Daniel

Daniel Starr

Associate Chief Librarian