Some news from our colleagues in MLA.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 2:29 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MLA-L] MLA Dues 2011-2112

Greetings MLA members,

The Board of Directors met at the MLA Business Office in Middleton,
Wisconsin June 1-3. The focus of the meeting was the setting of the
operating and convention budgets for FY 2011-2012. I am pleased to
report that the Board approved a balanced budget for the first time in
several years. Overall, MLA is fiscally sound. Nonetheless, it was
necessary for us to raise dues in most categories by $10 and to trim
expenses to leave essential programs in place.

The notice for renewing your membership will be posted soon, and you
will also have an opportunity to join or renew your membership in IAML
for 2012. Please respond to the renewal notice as soon as you can, as
that will allow MLA to meet its financial obligations. The new dues
rates are as follows.

*2011-12Current Dues**

Individual Members$110 $100

IAML Individual Member$70 $65

Institutional Member$145 $135

Institutional Subscriber$110$100

IAML Institutional Member$105 $100

Student Members$50 $45

Retired Members$75 $70

Sustaining Members$220 $200

Associate Member$80 $70

Corporate Patron$760 $760

Corporate Member$460 $460

Paraprofessional$60 $55

*Add $10 for foreign

MLA has experienced several years of deficit spending primarily due to
the fact that our revenues have not kept pace with expenses. Continued
deficit spending is simply not sustainable. Although this year
individual membership has remained almost steady, there has been a
significant drop in institutional members and subscribers. Without a
modest increase in dues, we will not be able to sustain critical programs.

To achieve a balanced budget, it was imperative that we also reduce
expenses. After carefully and closely examining each budget line, it was
necessary to reduce honoraria for editors and special officers or risk
curtailing important programs. Three special officers at the Board
meeting volunteered to reduce their honoraria by 50 percent. The MLA
Board expresses its gratitude for the generosity and leadership
exhibited by Michael Rogan, Linda Blair, and Jim Cassaro. Their impact
allowed us to achieve our goal of a balanced budget with just a 10
percent reduction in all remaining honoraria.

The reduction of the honoraria is in no way a reflection upon the amount
or value of the work of the special officers and editors. The MLA Board
and members greatly appreciate the work of all of the recipients of
honoraria without whom our high quality publications would not exist and
important programs would not happen. This was not a decision that was
taken lightly but out of necessity.

MLA was founded in 1931---not the easiest of economic times. MLA has
survived serious crises and become a stronger organization. It is now
facing challenges to its existence that are not completely under our
control: a serious economic recession, changes in the profession of
music librarianship, and changes in the nature of publication, to name a
few. We will soon complete a strategic planning process that will help
us to deal with these challenges. The Board will be making the financial
well-being of MLA a top priority. We are very aware of the generosity of
MLA members and we thank you for your generosity and loyalty.

--
Jerry McBride, Head Librarian
Music Library and Archive of Recorded Sound

President, Music Library Association

Braun Music Center, Room 104
Stanford University
541 Lasuén Mall
Stanford, CA 94305-3076

650-384-9817 (mobile)
650-725-1145 (fax)

To leave MLA-L, send the command SIGNOFF MLA-L to
[log in to unmask] or send email to
[log in to unmask] To suspend receipt temporarily, send
the command SET MLA-L NOMAIL to [log in to unmask] MLA-L
archives: <https://listserv.indiana.edu/archives/mla-l.html>. Music
Library Association homepage: <http://www.musiclibraryassoc.org>.