These artists have been beleaguering us and asking for additions/changes to our records in ways that are so outrageous, any discussion with them winds up unavoidably being a debate about cataloging. –a debate we always seem to lose.  They are never satisfied.   At times I’ve felt that we have been the victims of a practical joke, a hoax, or a performance piece.  All may be partially or completely true.  I recommend caution.

I agree with Lynda; we should not accede to  wishes for editorial changes in these cases (except, if we happen to discover true errors).     Just because their names do not appear prominently in a particular catalog and consequently don’t deserve mention in cataloging records is no reason to highlight their contributions.  We are not their private publicity agents!  Our legal and ethical responsibilities regarding cataloging relate to accessibility our collections to the public.  And the reason so much of our procedures as catalogers involve transcribing information is because, like journalists, we are reporting what we find.   If we’ve got a catalog featuring the work of 50 artists we’re not going to mention 2 at the expense of the other 48!     That would be a error in the extreme.

Yes, there are examples when we have responded to authors/artists who tell us that their names are misspelled or their birthdates are incorrect.  We have made the corrections.  We have even occasionally created new authority records (thanks to Sherman Clarke) to clear up discrepancies between persons with similar names, etc.  But what’s going on here is reprehensible and deserves our collective rebuke.

(ask me if I’m worked up about this. I haven’t posted to the list in quite a long time)

Sincerely,

Daniel Fermon
Museum of Modern Art Library
Associate Librarian/Cataloguing