Dear Ray Anne, Rebecca Feind, Anna, et al.,
This is all very interesting, and food for thought.  I was recently
tasked with examining the Ns (print reference) in our main library, and
what I found was interesting and provided some perspective on our
reference collection in the art library.  I haven't had a chance to
respond, but I've spent much time thinking about our ref. collection
here at Princeton and am happy to read and hear about others'
perspectives.  If I can think of anything to add once I've had a chance
to think about all of this, I will post it here.  Briefly, our ref. room
is limited in space, and I have sent many things to the stacks or
off-site (or withdrawn) if available electronically or superseded, etc.
It's impossible to include everything, and pointing users to additional
sources of narrower scope, often, involve ensuring that users know how
to look for ref. sources in the catalog (and/or via our new discovery
system).  I do agree with Rebecca that there are still some useful print
sources, although making these known and relevant, as well as pointing
users to electronic ref. sources can be tricky and challenging.  The
shift to a more global and increasingly contemporary focus is relevant,
here, too, and I appreciate your sharing of title suggestions, Ray Anne.
Best, Rebecca

--

Rebecca K. Friedman
Assistant Librarian