Forwarded by request from the MLA-L listserv.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2011 11:46 AM

To: [log in to unmask]

Subject: [MLA-L] Cataloging music that goes with art

Hi, all.  I've been asked to catalog some CDs for the Art & Architecture Library here, and have some questions for those of you who do such things more often than I.  Each is different in scope, but my biggest ques

1.    One of the CDs contains improvised singing by a solo voice that is played in the space where the installation has been done.  See http://www.wavehill.org/arts/lewis_desoto.html for a description.  Beyond the form/genre headings for the music itself, what would be appropriate to bring out the tie to art?

2.    The OCLC record I'm using for copy gives the artist as main entry.  That would seem patently false-but what do I know?  Another CD apparently was issued with the catalog of an installation by Maud Sulter.  I don't have the catalog in hand, so my presumption is that I catalog it as a musical work (it would appear to be incidental music for a drama that would be presented as part of the installation, I guess-but again, what do I know?).  The OCLC copy also enters this under the artist.

3.    Finally, classification.  Is there any place in the N schedule where such a thing might/should land, or should I force an "M" call number on the A & A folks?

Thanks as always.

Mark Scharff, Music Cataloger

Gaylord Music Library

Washington University in St. Louis

To leave MLA-L, send the command SIGNOFF MLA-L to

[log in to unmask] or send email to

[log in to unmask] To suspend receipt temporarily, send

the command SET MLA-L NOMAIL to [log in to unmask] MLA-L

archives: <https://listserv.indiana.edu/archives/mla-l.html>. Music

Library Association homepage: <http://www.musiclibraryassoc.org>.