Hello everyone,

I am working on a project dedicated to documenting what I refer to as alternative library spaces (even though they could be simply called special libraries, I feel that the term that I am using better distinguishes them). What I mean by alternative libraries are library/reading room spaces that are part of other institutions such as art galleries, artist-run centers, magazine publishing houses, etc. I am interested mainly in either art libraries or any other unique library spaces that pertain to the humanities.

This project has evolved out of my personal observations on the nature of artist-run spaces and other art organizations. Every art institution by its nature is bound to accumulate print materials (be that exhibition catalogues, brochures, event invitations, artist books and publications or various periodicals). As they constantly obtain or receive these resources, the questions regarding their use and storage quickly arise. Many such organizations have very limited space and yet they manage to hold on to these valuable materials. Unfortunately, however, these resources are rarely known about or made use of by the greater arts community.

The main focus of this project is to highlight the importance and unique character of such spaces (as opposed to public, academic and more specific art/design libraries that are part of universities and colleges) and to establish how they can be further used and developed by the institutions they belong to and by the broader public. I am also interested in considering how these spaces can be promoted as interdisciplinary resources.

This project will be ongoing. I will begin by documenting the spaces that I am familiar with in Vancouver, Canada, and then would like to extend my research to any other areas around the world.

In the next month or so, I am going to create a blog/website which will house this research in the form of articles covering each of such library spaces, in some cases including video footage of interviews or pod-casts.

I would like to draw on the incredible expertise of ARLIS members and to inquire whether any of you are familiar or have come across spaces of interest for my project, no matter where they are located (as I could always conduct my interviews via email, phone or Skype).

Your comments, suggestions and input would be greatly appreciated!

Please feel free to forward this email to anyone who you think might be able to help.

Sincerely,

Ksenia