This is a question from a local artist friend of mine--any ideas welcome!
Helen Chilllman
Yale University

________________________________
From: Jonathan Weinberg [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2011 5:17 PM
To: 'Betsy Fahlman'
Subject: weird image

[cid:[log in to unmask]]

Dear Friends,

I am completely stumped.   I am working on an artist who liked to collage images of this strange noose-like object into his pictures.  Does this look familiar to you?  It clearly is from some kind of Victorian advertisement or newspaper illustration (he used 19th century newspaper advertisements in his collages).

Jonathan

Jonathan Weinberg, Ph.D.
251 Greene Street
New Haven, CT 06511