Hello All,

Many thanks for your thoughtful responses to my inquiry about your
experiences using AbeBooks, Ebay etc. in lieu of library book sales.
A number of your have requested a summary of responses.

Please see below. I have removed the names of individuals and institutions.

Cheers!

Margaret

AbeBooks:

    * Monthly fee for selling 1-500 books: $25 After you become a
      bookseller, you are able to close your account at any time. They
      are unable to pro-rate subscription fees. However, so long as you
      let them know about the closure before the 8th day of any given
      month, they can refund you the fees for that month.

    * I set up an account with Abebooks.com and I sell a lot of our
      books there.  I do not know how economical it is, they seem to
      have a lot of fees, so much so that I won't list anything under
      $5, as it is not worth it.  I keep some books for an annual book
      sale in the library

    * I can't speak for my institution, but I have had wonderful
      personal experiences selling textbooks [using the Book Buyback
      feature: http://buyback.abebooks.com/] to AbeBooks. They offered
      really good prices. No fee, and they paid shipping costs for me. I
      don't know if they would charge shipping for larger buybacks.

    * We sell the more valuable books through ABE books. I usually put
      things there that I think will go for at least $50. Otherwise,
      it's not worth it.  I have generated over $40,000 in this way. We
      also give many to Better World Books. This doesn't generate a lot
      of income.

Amazon

    * We sell these kinds of things on Amazon. We've had what I think is
      reasonable success because some of the titles are pretty esoteric
      as you can imagine. We always sell the cheap stuff in the
      library.  We started in January I think and have sold about 10
      plus books. Not bad for a small library.

    * We sell on Amazon.com (it does not cost anything other than their
      percentage). We only sell ones that are worth all the work of
      wrapping and sending etc.- which generally means higher value ($70
      or so) but if it's small and can slip in an envelope for very
      little postage and $$ we'll do $35 or so). We have some
      volunteers. One searches Amazon to get a sense of the prices for a
      book; the other posts the ones we decide to sell on Amazon--and,
      when she can, takes care of coming in and wrapping them and taking
      to the post office (we don't have a "mail room" staff here, and we
      need to put "Delivery Confirmation" on each package.)Once your
      account is set up with Amazon it's a breeze.  For using their
      service without a monthly fee, one can only list books which are
      already listed.  If you're willing to pay a monthly fee (we are
      not) you can list any book. They need your institution's bank
      account info and an institutional credit card to set it all up;
      therefore our accounting dept. got involved. The ones which do not
      qualify go into our "Ongoing Book Sale" (a book truck near the
      entrance of the library).  We made $1,500 last month, thanks to
      Amazon & a couple of dealers who came in.  We're doing major
      weeding, so we have lots (too many) books!

Ebay

    * I sell stuff on Ebay and Amazon for myself - and I can make
      several suggestions -- first, look up some of the titles you are
      considering to sell.  Using Amazon, you can see what other copies
      are being sold and for how much.   The same thing for Ebay, which
      also allows you to do a sold search and see if other copies have
      been sold.  Ebay also owns half.com.   If you sell on Ebay, you
      will need a Paypal account.   You will pay an insertion fee for
      listing the book (and it depends on what your starting bid will
      be).  You will also pay a final value fee if the book sells.
      Starting in July, Ebay's final value fee will include the postage
      cost.  (YUCK). Here in the USA, one can send a book using media
      mail.  If you sell the book outside the US, the postage will be
      higher as there is no separate rate for books.  First class
      international and heavy books will cost a lot.

    * Amazon does not charge you to list, and they have a certain rate
      for postage, but sometimes the book's postage costs more than what
      Amazon has allowed for, and you pay the difference.  Amazon does
      take a percentage of the sale price.    You can link your bank
      account or checking account to Amazon, and get paid directly by
      Amazon.  They pay after you notify the shipper that the book has
      been shipped. Ebay owns Paypal.   You set up a paypal account
      (linked to your own financial account), and Paypal also takes a
      cut of the sale!

Other

    * We are not allowed to sell donated books, even if they were never
      part of our collection. As I understand our state law, once we
      accept them as donations they are considered University property,
      even if they aren't accessioned. We aren't allowed to have book
      sales of our withdrawn titles OR donated books. At this point our
      only option is to send them off to university surplus (I think
      that's where they go...). At some point they presumably get
      auctioned off as a lot, not sold individually, and the proceeds
      don't come back to the library. I think this state law is meant to
      discourage people from selling off university property. It also
      prevents us from generating a bit of extra cash to build our
      library collections. Oh well! I am always careful to explain this
      to donors BEFORE they make a donation. Anyway, I wonder if other
      states / provinces have this restriction as well?

--
Margaret English

Librarian
Department of Art Library