Dear Collective Wisdom,

Currently here at the RISD Library we charge fees for use of our
photocopiers but we do not charge patrons for use of our scanners.  We have
a couple of self-service flatbed scanners and a self-service face-up scanner
in the public areas of the library.  These are used heavily, especially the
face-up scanner that allows patrons to email the images to themselves.  In
Special Collections and Archives usually only staff handle scanning requests
for our more valuable and fragile materials, using a large Book Eye face-up
scanner.  Often these scanning requests take quite a bit of staff time to
complete.  Occasionally we allow students to use this non-public large
scanner for architectural drawings or other large flat artwork, but it takes
staff time to train users.  We are thinking that it may be time to start
charging a fee for scanning.

Do you charge any fees for scanning in your library and if so, what amount
do you charge?
Is there a fee for self-service scanning or just if staff are required to do
the scanning?
Do you have a limit on how many scans you might allow for free and then
charge for any in excess of that?
If you started charging for scanning, was there a great deal of resistance
if you had previously not charged a fee, and if so, how did you present this
policy change to your patron community?

If you have any policies/procedures that you have found successful in your
library that you would care to share, we would be very grateful.

Thanks so much,
Laurie

Special Collections Librarian
Curator of Artists' Books