Hello list,

I am forwarding a query on behalf of a non-art librarian colleague.  If you subscribe to McSweeney's Quarterly and make it generally available to your users, could you please respond?

Our library was recently gifted a collection of the periodical McSweeneys and we are wondering how to properly shelve this periodical.  In case you aren't familiar with this title,  McSweeneys is an artistic literary journal that often has big foldout sections,  little extra parts, and usually isn't even in book or journal format.  I was just looking at one edition that is a square cardboard box filled with individual booklets, papers and even a rolled up scroll!  Each edition is basically it's own art object.  Ideally, we would love to have these out on open shelves with the other print periodicals (non-circulating, of course), but I'm worried about the "extra bits" going missing.  Also, I don't really want to make Tech Services have to tattle tape a million little pieces for each edition.

You may not have a subscription to this title, but I'm sure you must have similiar items in your collection.  Do you have any ideas or suggestions on how we can best catalog and prep these for open shelves?  I'm wondering if we shouldn't catalog each edition individually to account for each part, considering every edition is so unique.  Or should I give it up and just add them to our archive so they are safe?

Sarah Carter
Instruction and Research Services Librarian
Verman Kimbrough Memorial Library
Ringling College of Art and Design
2700 N Tamiami Trail
Sarasota, FL 34234