Date:    Fri, 1 Apr 2011 18:07:11 +0000
From:    "Wilson, Terrie" <[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]>
Subject: tracing (documentary) photos over time

Hi Everyone,

I must admit my knowledge of documentary photography is a bit limited, so this request for assistance threw me for a loop.  I'm sending this out in case anyone has any suggestions for the patron.  I suspect that this may be difficult if not impossible to do, but here is the question:

"Currently, we are trying to set up a database of crucial photographs in regards to issues of war and social justice post-WW II. However, it's been difficult tracking the images comprehensively in how they've been used over time. Do you know of any way to do this? Internet searches are patchy at best and often don't cite, I tried contacting Magnum Photos' Licensing person and that ultimately did not lead to anything concrete making me hesitant to try other companies, and books don't site all who have used the image before making them useful but time consuming to wade through."

Any suggestions for the patron are welcome. Thanks in advance!

Terrie

Terrie L. Wilson
Art Librarian and Head, Fine Arts Library
Michigan State University
Fine Arts Library
100 Library
East Lansing, MI  48824