I don't know how many of you have access to genealogical databases on your campuses.  We got Ancestry Library Edition a year or so ago and I find it extremely useful for scholarly "stalking."

For Steinitz, the social security death index says:
------------
Name:  Kate Steinitz
SSN:  562-28-4930
Last Residence:  90049  Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California, United States of America
Born:  2 Aug 1889
Died:  Apr 1975
State (Year) SSN issued:  California (Before 1951)

The database also gives NY passenger lists, her petition for naturalization, voter registrations, etc.  In many cases there are scans of the original source documents, so you can verify the transcriptions/OCR (which I've had occasion to dispute, even from my limited use of the source).

If you have a subscription to this and haven't explored it for artist bio information, I recommend it.

P.S.  Thanks to you Minnesota folks for a very fine conference!
--Linda Duychak
Kohler Art Library, Univ. of Wisconsin, Madison