Dear Materials Special Interest Group Attendees,

Carol Terry and I want to thank you for attending the debut of MATSIG in Minneapolis. Despite an initial technical challenge ("Wrong Dongle"), the thirty attendees reacted in good humor and with solid interest. Carol and I are particularly impressed by the quantity and variation in the institutions and collections represented. Hopefully the presentation of my nine-month immersion into the world of material libraries and some of the literature proved illuminating and interesting.

What's next?

MATSIG has a brand new blog, material|resource, at http://materialresource.wordpress.com/. I've invited the thirty attendees in Minneapolis to subscribe to it, but please feel free to subscribe even if you did not attend that first meeting. I'll also upload my Powerpoint presenation either there and/or to SlideShare and provide the link to that resource. I'm working on several new blog entries that will hopefully generate feedback, and I'll be investigating whether the blog should have an auxiliary Wiki page to facilitate the creation of a wider resource. As always, your participation and feedback will be appreciated.

I have already begun to partner with my Toronto-based colleagues to arrange a site visit to a local materials library. More details to come but that should be quite exciting for our young group.

In the coming months I'll also continue to include site visits to other materials libraries wherever possible and I encourage you to do the same. Each collection is very different from the next and it's only by engaging this growing community that we can learn from each other, work through challenges, and share successes.

Thank you,

Mark

--
Mark Pompelia