Dear Susan,

Definitely consult Table N6!  But to make life easier, I devised a cheatsheet with letters of the alphabet clustered under possible Cutter numbers:

  AB  CD  EF  GH  IJK  L   M   N   O   PQ  R   S   T   UV  WX  YZ
.A62  63  64  65  66   67  68  69  72  73  74  75  76  77  78  79

If I were shelflisting a book on Leonardo's Adoration in the LC database, I would consider A62 or similarly low number (always adjusting for titles already cataloged):

ND623.L5 $b A645  2007	Battle of Anghiari
ND623.L5 $b A647  2009	Belle Ferronnière

In this list, the Cutter no. A62 would correctly file the book on 'Adoration' before 'Battle'.

The display .xA6-.xA79 is a little cryptic.  The Classification and Shelflisting Manual (CSM) G 330, Artists, explains how to use Table N6.  The first Cutter number, '.x', represents the artist.  The second represents the work of art.  If there are a lot of books on one work of art, you may have to distinguish them by work letters:

ND623.L5 $b A7 2004
ND623.L5 $b A7 2005
ND623.L5 $b A7 2006
ND623.L5 $b A7 2006b
ND623.L5 $b A7 2006c

Hope this helps!
--Julia

~ Opinions expressed are my own, not necessarily that of my employer. ~

Julia Wisniewski
Cataloging Librarian
Library of Congress
101 Independence Ave SE