Dear ARLIS listers,

Below is the press release announcing the partnership between ARLIS/NA and the University of Chicago Press to publish Art Documentation. We at the Press are very happy to be working with ARLIS and the journal’s editorial team.

Best,

Kevin Stacey

University of Chicago Press

Journals Division

773-834-0386

www.journals.uchicago.edu

For Immediate Release

The University of Chicago Press / Art Libraries Society of North America

Contact: Kevin Stacey / 773-834-0386 / [log in to unmask]

The University of Chicago Press and ARLIS/NA Announce Partnership to Publish Art Documentation

The University of Chicago Press and the Art Libraries Society of North America (ARLIS/NA) are pleased to announce a new partnership to publish Art Documentation, a leading journal for art librarians and visual resources professionals. The inaugural issue under the partnership is scheduled to publish in Spring 2012 (vol. 31, no. 1).

Art Documentation is an indispensable forum for scholarship on art and architecture librarianship, visual resources curatorship, digital image management, visual arts technology, art publishing, and related areas. Published twice yearly, the peer-reviewed journal features original research, case studies, and historical articles that provide valuable perspective on the issues and challenges unique to the field.

“ARLIS/NA members have been looking to Art Documentation for years to help them keep abreast of trends and scholarship in our rapidly changing field,” said Judy Dyki, library director at Cranbrook Academy of Art and the journal’s editor. “We are excited by this opportunity to broaden the discussion through a wider dissemination of the journal.”

With its move to the Press, Art Documentation will continue to publish in both print and electronic format. The electronic edition will be included along with all of Chicago’s journals in JSTOR’s Current Scholarship Program and in JSTOR’s back file archive. Expanded indexing and archiving, as well as search and citation-linking functionality in a new full-text HTML format, will make electronic content more discoverable and useful. The print edition will feature a new layout and an exciting new cover design reflective of the journal’s visually oriented audience.

“We look forward to forming a stronger relationship with our colleagues internationally and to increasing our collaboration with scholars and professionals in related disciplines,” Dyki said. “With the expertise the Press brings to the partnership, and with distribution through the JSTOR Current Scholarship Program, we anticipate an expanded role for the journal that wouldn’t be possible otherwise.”

Art Documentation has been the official bulletin of ARLIS/NA since 1982. A double-blind peer review process was instituted in 2009.

“We’re very pleased to welcome Art Documentation to our roster,” said Everett Conner, Journals Division manager at the University of Chicago Press. “It’s a great complement to The Library Quarterly, which we’ve published since 1931, and it fits well with our growing list of scholarly art journals,” which includes American Art; West 86th: A Journal of Decorative Arts, Design History, and Material Culture; Winterthur Portfolio; and Afterall: A Journal of Art, Context, and Enquiry.

Individuals receive the journal as part of their membership in ARLIS/NA. As part of the agreement with the Press, ARLIS/NA members will receive a 30 percent discount on University of Chicago Press books. For membership information, visit http://www.arlisna.org/join.html. Subscription information for institutions will be available soon.

--30--

About the Art Libraries Society of North America:

ARLIS/NA is a growing, dynamic organization promoting the interests of nearly 1,000 members. The membership includes architecture and art librarians, visual resources professionals, artists, curators, educators, publishers, students, and others interested in visual arts information. To serve this diverse constituency, the Society provides a wide range of programs and services within an organizational structure that encourages participation at all levels.

About the University of Chicago Press:

Founded in 1891, the University of Chicago Press was conceived by President William Rainey Harper as an organic part of the University, extending the influence of Chicago scholars around the globe. Within ten years, the Press had introduced fourteen scholarly journals (including American Journal of Sociology, The Elementary School Journal, The Journal of Geology, International Journal of Plant Sciences, Journal of Near Eastern Studies, and Journal of Political Economy—all remain in wide circulation). Today, the Journals Division of the Press distributes more than 50 journals and hardcover serials, presenting original research from international scholars in the social sciences, humanities, education, biological and medical sciences, and physical sciences.