I received the answer from St. Louis Art Museum.  I just wanted there to be more structure to the system than there actually is.

Thank you,
Susan

________________________________
From: ARLIS/NA List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Susan Ferrer-Vinent
Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 9:47 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARLIS-L] Cataloging question: .A6-A79 (Table N6)

Good morning,

My question is about applying individual works of art Cuttering from Table N6 of the N classification schedule:
.xA6-.xA79 - Individual works of art. Alphabetically by title of work of art and date.

For instance,      Leonardo, ǂc da Vinci, ǂd 1452-1519. ǂt Adoration of the Magi     would be     ND623.L5 ǂb A????
The Cutter of "adoration" is A3673 (from The Cataloging Calculator).  According to Table N6, what would you put in subfield ǂb?

Would someone be able to direct me to something in writing that explains how to apply this part of Table N6.
Or, would someone just explain it to me.

Also, do some catalogers/catalogs simply Cutter the title of the work without worrying about Table N6?

Thank you very,  very much,
Susan

Susan T. Ferrer-Vinent
Denver Art Museum Library
100 W. 14th Ave. Pkwy.
Denver, CO 80204

Mail submissions to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> For information about joining ARLIS/NA see: http://www.arlisna.org/join.html Send administrative matters (file requests, subscription requests, etc) to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> ARLIS-L Archives and subscription maintenance: http://lsv.arlisna.org Questions may be addressed to list owner (Judy Dyki) at: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>