Hello list,

I am forwarding a query on behalf of a non-art librarian colleague.  If you
subscribe to McSweeney's Quarterly and make it generally available to your
users, could you please respond?

> Our library was recently gifted a collection of the periodical McSweeneys
> and we are wondering how to properly shelve this periodical.  In case you
> aren't familiar with this title,  McSweeneys is an artistic literary journal
> that often has big foldout sections,  little extra parts, and usually isn't
> even in book or journal format.  I was just looking at one edition that is a
> square cardboard box filled with individual booklets, papers and even a
> rolled up scroll!  Each edition is basically it's own art object.  Ideally,
> we would love to have these out on open shelves with the other print
> periodicals (non-circulating, of course), but I'm worried about the "extra
> bits" going missing.  Also, I don't really want to make Tech Services have
> to tattle tape a million little pieces for each edition.
>
> You may not have a subscription to this title, but I'm sure you must have
> similiar items in your collection.  Do you have any ideas or suggestions on
> how we can best catalog and prep these for open shelves?  I'm wondering if
> we shouldn't catalog each edition individually to account for each part,
> considering every edition is so unique.  Or should I give it up and just add
> them to our archive so they are safe?

Sarah Carter
Instruction and Research Services Librarian
Verman Kimbrough Memorial Library
Ringling College of Art and Design
2700 N Tamiami Trail
Sarasota, FL 34234