Error during command authentication.

Error - unable to initiate communication with LISTSERV (errno=10061, phase=CONNECT, target=127.0.0.1:2306). The server is probably not started. Craft Horizons / American Craft vols 1-46, 1941-1986

designinform
•  Design Abstracts Retrospective
•  Design ProFILES
•  ReVIEW
•  designinform Research Guides

Craft Horizons / American Craft vols 1-46, 1941-1986

Hi

I am please to announce that after over two long years working on the project, designinform now completed coverage of Craft Horizons / American Craft from vol.1, 1941 to vol.46, 1986.

We have written abstracts of virtually every article, indexed every image, and written profiles of virtually every craftsperson whose work is discussed or illustrated in the magazine during these years.

By writing profiles of virtually every craftsperson we have affectively created what is the first biographical ‘dictionary’ of modern American craftspeople.  It contains biographies of many thousands of names.  Entries include:

1   dates and place of of birth and death

2.  gender

3.  where they studied

4.  an outline of their career

5.  details of solo exhibitions, and group exhibitions in which they participated

6.  awards and honours they received

7.  galleries and museums that own their work

8.  Internet links, including links to archives and YouTube

9.  a bibliography.

The ‘dictionary’ currently contains profiles of American artists working in every craft field.  It includes, for example, data on:

    911 ceramists;
    433 jewelry designers
    575 textile artists and weavers
    269 metalsmiths,
    512 furniture designers
    643 sculptors
                                                                                            etc.

What all this means is that crafts activity in the USA in the second half of the twentieth century will now be more thoroughly documented than that of any other country.  Several of the entries are based on correspondence with the individual craftspeople

Among titles previously covered by designinform are Everyday Arts Quarterly (1946-1953). Design Quarterly (1953-1965), The Studio Yearbook of Decorative Art / Decorative Art (1906-1965), and Industrial Design (1954-1986), which also contain articles on US crafts and for which we have written abstracts and profiles

Incidentally, the reason for the cut-off date of 1986 is because 1987 is the year we began Design and Applied Arts Index [now published by ProQuest]. Although we will not be writing abstracts beyond 1986, the biographical ‘dictionary’ continues through to the present day.

We will be attending the ARLIS/VRA Conference in Minneapolis next month and would be pleased to talk to you about designinform and plans we have for the future of the project.  We would also like to hear from you if you have any ideas of how we could develop designinform.  For example, what other Research Guides would you like us to produce?

Best wishes

Chris

Chris Mees
Editor – designinform
Design Research Publications | Poundsford | Vicarage Lane | Burwash |  East Sussex | England TN19 7JS

T: +44 1435 883950
E:
W: http://www.designinform.co.uk/