Dear ARLIS Members:

I asked a while ago about whether other schools offer their alumni/ae remote access to databases. Thank you for all your replies. A number of you asked if I would report back on what I found out. So here it goes.

The vast majority of respondents on the ARLIS listserv said that they do not offer alums access and that they are precluded from doing so by the user agreements that they have signed with database vendors. Only one school reported that it provided access remotely and that this was authorized in their user agreements.

A few of you from larger research institutions mentioned that you did offer alums access to several databases and that you did this by creating additional accounts with database vendors and the added expense was borne at least in part by alumni offices. Outside of art databases, there are a number of products (Lexis-Nexis, Academic Search Premier) that come in alum versions that have slightly different coverage and pricing. This may represent an emerging trend among art and design databases as well.

I also contacted a number of vendors and received different information about whether it would be feasible/permissible to add alums. ARTstor emphatically stated that it would not. Wilson said that we could if we created separate accounts which would have lower per-head costs than our normal subscription rates. Other database firms referred me to language in their user agreements stating that use is limited to an institution’s current population: students, faculty, staff plus walk-in users. They do not allow you to increase the number of FTEs to include alums since they fall into a different category.

I wish I had clearer and more positive information to report back. We would love to make remote alumni access a part of our service at MassArt but costs and legal constraints do not allow for that as of now. I will monitor and report if changes appear on the art library landscape.

Best,

Greg

Greg Wallace, Ph.D.

Public Services Librarian - Morton R. Godine Library

Massachusetts College of Art and Design

621 Huntington Avenue

Boston, MA 02115

401.527.6833 (mobile)