Dear ARLIS/NA Members:

Things are moving along with the VRA & ARLIS/NA 2nd Joint Conference. The local conference planning team is working hard to assure us that this will be a great conference.  The GOOD news is that we have been informed that the Hilton Minneapolis Downtown Hotel has extended the room block cut-off date to March 1.  Therefore, you still have one week to book your room at the Joint Conference hotel and get the group room rate of $169 (plus 13.40% per room per night tax). You can retrieve hotel information by linking to http://www.vra-arlis2011.org/Hotel.html and clicking on reserve a room online.

Please do your best to stay in the conference hotel. You will benefit – many of the conference events will be in the hotel, you will have lots of opportunities to network and meet up with new and old friends, and it's a beautiful hotel. The hotel is centrally located downtown and connected by the Skyway to many of the city’s top attractions and businesses.

And ARLIS/NA will benefit; as you may know, ARLIS conference contracts have been signed with hotels years in advance. These contracts include a specified number of "room nights" which we have to fill. If we fall short, we pay a significant amount of money in penalty. Given the current economy, our organization like many others, is suffering short-falls. It is possible that ARLIS/NA may not be able to afford to do annual conferences if we end up too far in the red. So please, do what you can.  I encourage you to register now and book your hotel reservations at the conference hotel, the Hilton Minneapolis.  See you there.  Best wishes, Mari

Marilyn Russell, Ph.D.

Library Director

President ARLIS/NA

Haskell Indian Nations University