From: Brodhead, Heather
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2011 1:50 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARLIS-L] Book Covers: To remove or not remove...

I recall about 20 years ago at my previous job in a public library it was tried in an effort to cut expenses: the time (and cost) to cover the jackets—not to mention the cost of the jackets themselves.  It was discovered that the appeal of the book was lost to the browser of the shelves (Visual appeal? Understanding of contents?) , and so then the jackets were covered and left on the books in the open shelf area, but removed from those books headed to the closed stacks.   Over time I notice that the covered jackets do indeed protect the books from wear & tear –and they are easy to identify at a glance.

Heather Brodhead

Librarian

Constance & George Fearing Library

Santa Barbara Museum of Art                www.sbma.net

1130 State Street

Santa Barbara, CA 93101

(805) 884-6451

Library is open to the public Tues., Wed, Thu. 1-5 PM;

  Librarian's hours 10-noon; 1-5:30 on those days.