I sent this message to Jillian' e-mail address, but see that many respond on the list, so I am forwarding a copy of it in case someone else has interest...

From: Anna Bigazzi
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2011 11:48 AM
To: Jillian Kehoe
Subject: Re: [ARLIS-L] Book Covers: To remove or not remove...

Hi Jillian,

In the past at our library we almost never kept the covers on the books.  We did not have the funds to cover the expense for the plastic sheets and the manpower for the process.  However, when we had a branch library at the Art School (we transferred to the expanded and "wired' main library in 1989)
we had a big bulletin board in the reading area and pinned on it the new book covers in the neatest arrangements our art students may conceive.  The covers would stay up there for a few weeks, then after we substituted them, the most interesting or beautiful ones would be mounted on boards and go to enrich our circulating collection of "Art Plates."

 After the move we lost the exhibition board, so the better covers still were used for plates and the others discarded or used as folders or colored paper for book repairs. This went on for another 15 years or so until the book collection was integrated and the Art Librarian (=me) was "integrated" too as Reference Librarian.  Right now the Plate Collection still exist, but is not updated for lack of time and manpower.  I still collect gorgeous covers
which most likely will end at the Art School for the students to adopt.  In the meantime we updated the "New Books" shelves leaving the covers on  as long as the display lasts, and created a circulating "Leisure Collection"  of literature, where the covers stay on without protection as long as they are decent.   Art books do not often park among the "New Books" because of their size.  Also if requested by faculty they go to the stacks immediately after cataloging.  We have a special section of the online catalog to signal the accession of new books.  I am not so sure that anybody looks at it...

Thanks for asking...

Anna Bigazzi
Art Reference Librarian
Mortensen Library, Art Library