From: ARLIS/NA List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bill Cole
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2011 11:30 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARLIS-L] Google art project

I wonder if this copyright protection would hold up in court.

I mean, the MoMA owns Van Gogh's "The Starry Night".  But owning an artwork
doesn't confer ownership of copyright.  Does the MoMA have the right to
assume that ANY photograph of The Starry Night is the property of the MoMA,
and that such photographs are protected by copyright?  The forthcoming
(March) issue of Print Quarterly (the leading scholarly journal of prints)
will have an essay on this subject by Anthony Griffiths.

Best

Bill Cole