Thanks for your detailed explanation and your willingness to investigate this option, Chris.

From: Chris Roper [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, February 17, 2011 8:21 AM
To: Pregill, Lily; [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: [ARLIS-L] payment options for membership and conference registration

Hi Lily and fellow ARLIS-L Members:

I certainly will have a list of accepted credit card types added to the membership renewal and conference registration web sites.

Accepting American Express does have its price, which is normally higher then VISA and MasterCard.  Just as an FYI, every credit card that ARLIS accepts as payment for a membership or conference registration has a price.  The company that processes the charge takes a percentage of the income as does the card issuer (Discover, VISA, MasterCard, or American Express, etc.).  The percentage taken varies from card issuer to card issuer and from card type to card type, for example a credit card that earns you bonus point or miles actually costs ARLIS a high percentage then one with out card member perks.  Maybe more information then you wanted to know but it does help frame the discussion.

However, ARLIS feels that the staff time saved by having a payment processed via credit card online has value - so there is the trade off (it takes more HQ staff time to process a check then an online credit card payment).

All that being said, I will conduct the necessary research into what it would take and cost for ARLIS to accept American Express and present those findings to the ARLIS Board at its March meeting.  I know that, that won't be in time for this year's conference registration or membership renewal cycle, but could be in time for the next.

I hope this information is helpful and know that I will e-mail you again once the Board has discussed this issue.

I appreciate you taking the time to raise the question.

Have a great day!

Christopher Roper
ARLIS/NA Association & Conference Manager