I have been asked to summarize your responses. Looks like some juicy reading:

Paul Buckley, editor, Penguin 75

Erik Larson, Devil in the White City

Malcom Gladwell, Blink:The power of thinking without thinking

William M. Ivins, Prints and Visual Communication

Lillian Christensen, A Design for Living, Vienna in the Twenties

Henry Petroski, The Pencil: A history of design and circumstance

Richard Minsky, The Art of American Book Covers 1875-1930

And someone added these excellent potential best-sellers:

(I also just thought of T.C. Boyle's "The Women" as well - or to call it "The Monkey Women"? Isn't ANY book title better with some "monkeys" thrown in? The Monkey Bible, Harry Potter and the Monkey Prisoner of Azkhaban, The Well of Monkey Loneliness, The Davinci Monkey Code, The Sound and the Monkey Fury, À la Recherche du Singe Temps Perdu, Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother Monkey... )

Leigh Gates

Director of Library Services

Harrington College of Design

200 W. Madison St.