To Our Members, a note from Maureen and Marilyn

Meet us in Minneapolis! The 2011 VRA + ARLIS/NA 2nd Joint Conference is only 6 weeks away, March 24th-28th. Your Presidents extend all members of these two like-minded organizations and other interested parties a cordial invitation to join in on this exciting event.

Register by February 25th to get the best rate on conference registration.  Another reason to register now is that workshops, fundraiser tickets, and tour reservations are taken in order of receipt and are filling up. If you have already registered and would like to add on any events, the online registration system will allow you to return and do so. Just go to the conference registration link at
http://www.vra-arlis2011.org/registration.html. After getting into the registration site, go to registration information and select "registering for events only" from the dropdown menu located by "Registration Type." Then you can select the events you would like to add and pay with a credit card or check.

We urge you to book your hotel reservations at the conference hotel, the Hilton Minneapolis by February 21st which is the group rate cut-off date (hotel information is on the registration website). The hotel is centrally located downtown and connected by the Skyway to many of this city's top attractions and businesses. VRA and ARLIS/NA have an obligation to meet the contracted room block of guest room nights at the Hilton Minneapolis Hotel.  If we do not make this commitment, we will be penalized with additional charges for meetings rooms or other added costs
which is a direct cost to our organizations. So make your reservations at the conference hotel.

The Founders' Fete is a joint fundraising event scheduled for Thursday, March 24th from 7-9:30 PM.   It provides an opportunity to mingle with colleagues in the historic Gale Mansion complete with music and a tribute program to the founders of both organizations. One free drink is included in the $40 ticket price along with an array of appetizers and desserts. There are still tickets available for the Founders’ Fete.  On this same evening, you can also visit the Minneapolis Institute of Arts, a few blocks away, which is open 10 AM-9 PM (free admission on Thursday). Buses start circulating attendees to both venues at 5:30 PM.  Support your organizations and join in on the fun at Gale Mansion.

Don't miss out on all the great tours.  Early risers can enjoy the free morning "Minne-Tours" showcasing works of architectural significance located within easy walking distance of the Hilton Hotel.  There are numerous opportunities to experience the Twin Cities rich architectural heritage as well as hands-on tours for those interested in book arts, ceramics, and printmaking. Or, take the time to head out of town to visit St. John's Abbey and its renowned manuscript library or Owatonna with its historic Louis Sullivan bank building. All the excursions are affordable and specifically oriented towards the interests of librarians and image curators.  Bring your camera along for photo opps.

And remember the Shhh…Silent Auction event. Please join us by donating and bidding on items which will raise funds for both of our organizations. Individuals, vendors and chapters are encouraged to donate items for the silent auction. This event will be in the Hilton Hotel Exhibits Hall, Friday, March 25th  through Saturday, March 26th.

Have we given you enough reasons to meet us in Minneapolis? Well, of course there is the MAIN reason we are going, the substantive program of workshops, plenaries, sessions, meetings, users groups, etc. are all detailed on SCHED and you can create your schedule by linking to http://vraarlis11.sched.org/signup. You can customize your schedule and load it on your handheld device. All that's left is getting to Minneapolis to participate in what promises to be an information-packed and memorable conference.  We look forward to seeing you there.

Best regards,

Maureen Burns, VRA President and Marilyn Russell, ARLIS/NA President

Marilyn Russell, Ph.D.

Library Director

President ARLIS/NA

Haskell Indian Nations University