Donna, in the US that type of classroom use would fall under our “Fair Use” guidelines.  Doesn’t Canada have something similar called “Fair Dealing”?

Heather

From: ARLIS/NA List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Donna Bowman
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2011 10:53 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARLIS-L] Google art project

Isn't there a problem, though, with the fact that the images are copyright protected by the museums who uploaded them?

Here in Canada, I think that makes them unable to be shown in class, for instance. We can point students to look at them themselves, but if a prof shows them in class, that would be in contravention of copyright.

What a pain!

Donna

Donna Bowman

Visual Arts Liaison Librarian

Dr. John Archer Library

University of Regina

Regina, SK  S4S 0A2

(306)585-5118

>>> Ulla Volk <[log in to unmask]> 2/3/2011 9:23 am >>>
Yes, we had already put a link to it on our Web site.

Ulla