Our graphic design faculty have asked that we keep the book covers for
students interested in book design to study, and so far I've been able
to get the main library to let us keep them (they do all our
processing).  They put spine labels on both the book and the cover, and
they have two-piece barcodes; one part goes on the book and one on the
cover.  We don't put any sort of plastic covers on the dustjackets; we
just keep them on the book until they fall apart (although that
typically takes many years), and then they get thrown away .  Every few
years I end up having to re-justify keeping the jackets as those
departments get new people or change their processes, but so far it's
been fine.   We do pull books for various design classes to study, so I
know the covers are being used in that way.

Karen DeWitt, Director
Harrye B. Lyons Design Library
NCSU Libraries
Campus Box 7701
Raleigh, NC 27695-7701
919-513-3860

>>> Jillian Kehoe <[log in to unmask]> 2/17/2011 10:26 AM >>>

Hello ARLIS

I’m curious to see what others schools do concerning book covers.
Currently, we are putting plastic on the covers, covering our new books
and putting them on display. After a few months, they get removed from
display and placed into the stacks. We haven’t been removing the covers.
What is your practice concerning book covers—do the covers get removed
when the books get placed in standard shelving?

Thanks in advance for your help and opinions.

Jillian Kehoe
Librarian
Art & Architecture Library
New York Institute of Technology